Thursday, October 26, 2006

WAPO Promotes Taliban Women!

I did not know about this scary article until I received it from some Egyptian veiled women who are cheering the success of a wonderful article. It took me few seconds to realize the source. Guess what it is the Washington Post.

I have all the respect for the freedom of speech and expression. There is no doubt that everyone is entitled to express what he/she believes in. But at times when matters are taken to the extreme, I believe there must be sometime given to consider which values are promoted.

The article “How I came to love the veil”, published on Oct. 22, starts with this statement “I used to look at veiled women as quiet, oppressed creatures -- until I was captured by the Taliban.”

I have no problem of women burying themselves in the sand as long as they believe that’s what they want from life. However, those who believe that burying themselves in the sand believe also that they the ultimate righteousness and truth on earth and any other choices in life are punishable by words, stoning, killing or a suicide bombing in a subway or a bus.

When freedom of expression means taking the side of polygamy, stoning women for adultery, death sentences for minors, disinheriting women, denial to the right of divorce, discriminating against women, then I think some little time should be given to consider what is being published.

Exercising freedom of speech should not be that at the expense of really oppressed women who trying to gain any right in a tough battle. Instead of finding support, they find a confirmation that what they live and have is the right thing.

I want to say that this woman is completely out of touch with reality. She did not hear about honor killings where men go completely unpunished because he believes he defended his masculinity and the honor of his family. And the woman he kills becomes so cheap in front of the society and courts. She claims in her article “Violent men don't come from any particular religious or cultural category; one in three women around the world has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused in her lifetime, according to the hotline survey.” It is true that violence exist in every society and religion. There is no doubt, but it is punishable. This woman lives in the U.K where every assault against women is punishable, however there are so many other muslim societies where women are struggling with courage to win so many rights that are taken for granted in many parts of the world.

I will exercise my right of expression and say as a Muslim that the Washington Post’s choice of this article is repulsive. And I admit that I failed to understand the purpose of publishing such a backward article. I do not know what values the WAPO is trying promote here? Who are they are serving? The Taliban Women! …

5 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I think the published article was in the context of a pro/contttra debate; I read in the WP comments that there was an opposite oppinion right next to it (in the newspaper).
Besides, I find the article typical for a Westerner (I am one myself).
First, the author was captured by the Taliban; therefore I think she might be affected by the "Stockholm syndrome" which lead to sympathy towards her oppressors.
THen, she writes herself about her expectations of Islam and that what she found was pretty different; this shows she was already looking for something she did not find in her home society. So she was more open to anything new. Probably she is not very happy being a Westerner as she seems not to realize the benefits of it, as many others don't.
IMO she is a very unstable personality who needs some confirmation by living differently. If she says, before being a Muslim, she was not respected, I think it shows that she is weak. As she was not respected when being a part of the community she was living in, I think it might be due to the fact that she was still looking for herself, looking for something she did not find before wearing the veil. It is her right to do so, but for me, it is a sign of lacking self esteem and a mix of hopes for a better world and romantics.
Concerning the feminist remarks, she is right when criticizing the West for some backward role interpretation. THough, I think it is not better at all anywhere else in the world. Especially not in Afghanistan, before and after the war, or Iran. In both muslim countries, women are still being stoned.
Keep up your great blog!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Freedom For Egyptians said...

As I said I received it through email and I did not know it was part of a debate. Thanks for the clarification.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This woman's article came under discussion at LGF a few days ago. It was pointed out that she also expressed sympathy with terrorists in the past:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=23059&only

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This woman is a study in contradictions. Whether or not those contradictions are a result of self-deception, or simply taqiyya, you'll have to decide.

For example, she praises Taliban-controlled Afghanistan's policies towards women, which supposedly "protected" women and brought them respect, but she also states that Islam guarantees her the right to an education.

Did she fail to notice that girls were not allowed to attend even elementary school under the Taliban?

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Freedom For Egyptians said...

Why the hell is it published in the Washington Post. I received in an email without context from a woman cheering the fact that this article is a full support to whatever she believes in. She either did not get the context or ignored it. I am sure she sent it to so many women of the same mentality!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home