Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day in DC, Happy Fourth!

I believe that part of living in the United States is experiencing the American life or spirit. Parades on national occasions in the U.S. are family get-togethers and a true celebration. Adults and children are dressed with the colors of the American flag or having flags in their hands to wave. I had never seen such a great love. There were two young girls next me cheering the bands as if they were in a staduim according to my Egyptian standards. They did not look as if they were celebrating a major national occasion. It is a country that gave a lot to its citizens. So you could feel that the people here take pride in being U.S. citizens and being part of this nation. One of the things that I have noticed in U.S. parades that some nationalities that became Americans take the chance to celebrate as well in the name of their countries to stress the friendship bond between the U.S. and their native country. I think it is a way also to express gratitute to the U.S for being their adopting country. I saw the Taiwanese and filipino Americans in the parades with both their countries and U.S. flags saying Happy Birthday to the U.S. The last thing I can say it about American parades that it is about the love; the love of the crowds and everyone participating in the parade. It is so in the air and no one can miss it. The last real parade in Egypt took the life of our late President Anwar Sadat on October 6,1981. Sometimes the Egyptian government pretent to do parades during spring time but nobody cares. So really I cannot compare the American parades to anything I have ever experienced in my life in Egypt.

Here are some picturs I took today at Constitution Avenue in Washington DC today. I am now resting at home, getting ready for the fireworks. Happy Independence Day to everyone!

U.S. Army forces
U.S. Army forces.

U.S. men and women in uniform made a wonderful presence and were cheered by the crowed.


This car had two persons dressed up as President Abe Lincoln at one side and President George Washington at the other side, but you cannot see him. I was standing at the Lincoln side.
Some war veterans waving to the people.

9 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Gateway Pundit said...

Wow! What great pictures! It is always good to hear your perspective on all things American.

Happy Independence Day!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi FFE! Hope you are also inside avoiding the terrible thunderstorm that is happening right now :)

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Looks like fun, FFE, thanks for postiong all the pics :)

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Freedom For Egyptians said...

The thunderstorm is gone and I am going to watch the fireworks:) This is true fun!!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Bilo said...

Thank you for being a free and independent thinker and for your contributions to justice. Egypt would do very well with more people like you.

We also ought to look at Independence Day as independence for all aspects of our lives, meaning that it is for our minds and our relations to society at large, not merely in the historical sense.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi FFE,
I realise your perspective when one lives and feels in comfort in a country that respects his/her rights and needs.

As an Egyptian in Germany, I was supporting Germany in the World Cup game against Italy as strongly as possible. I was very sad about the result and I was proud of being a German, even though I was not born there. It just shows that one can have rich mutliple identities.
Egyptian in Germany

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Barsawad said...

"independence for all aspects of our lives, meaning that it is for our minds and our relations to society at large, not merely in the historical sense." Exactly Bilo!

'Independence Day' should have a wider, deeper meaning for Americans rather than the historical only!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Mad Minerva said...

Lovely photos! I'm happy you enjoyed your time in DC.

My family is from Taiwan, so I was glad to see that Taiwanese-Americans were at the parade! As a Taiwanese-American, I am proud of my heritage but also very proud to be American. It is a great opportunity to enjoy the best of both.

Thank you for a great blog too! I will return often to read!

Yours,
Mad Minerva
http://madminerva.blog-city.com/

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

U know I had a similar feeling about Egyptians not truly enjoying nationalistic parades. But I heard last year about the Heliopolis parade, i think it was 100 years anniversary. Everyone was really excited, and it shows that when there is something to be proud about Egyptians can and will show their true colors...Dude, I just partied for the NC Hurricanes and I didn't even watch the game...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home