Friday, March 17, 2006

Mom for Freedom of Press and Independent Judiciary in Egypt

I called my mom earlier in the day today to talk to her about some arrangements for me. But guess where did I find her. I was stunned to know.

I believe now more than ever now that Egypt is changing and that there is whole new spirit for change.

If my mom was able to leave her books, newspapers, satellite TV channels and her favorite programs on the BBC Arabic radio to stand silently in a protest in solidarity with the freedom of the press and independent judiciary, then if I had slight doubts before about changes, they are gone today. Not that my mom did not believe in the freedom of the press and independence of judiciary, but she did not feel she needs to interact with any political changes happening in Egypt as those ones. I always appreciated my mom appreciation of art, classical music and literature, but she was like most of the secular silent Egyptians always silent.

I called my mom on her cell and heard at the background crowds chanting anti-government, anti-US, anti-Israel slogans. Yes, the U.S. and Israel must be included. They are the salt and pepper of all the Egyptian protests. I asked her what do you think of the slogans, she told me, they are so confused as usual. At the end of the call, I heard two people fighting. I asked her what is that. She told me a happy ending.

She told me there were about 3000 people in the protest from all streams of the society; leftists, Islamists and representatives of the different parties. Gameela Ismail, wife of the imprisoned political leader Ayman Nour, was there leading AlGad Party protest. She was there with her mother.

On Friday the General Assembly emergency meeting for the Egyptian Club judges convened to decide on the government slackness on deciding on independence of judiciary and re-drafting a law that further strengthen the grip of the executive authority over the judiciary system. The judges decided that on May 25 there will be another protest. May 25 will be the anniversary of the referendum of the article 76 of the constitution where violations were perpetrated by the government against the Egyptian people, including raping of women by thugs hired by the Egyptian ministry of the interior.

I felt extremely excited over my mom’s participation. It is the first time of its kind. She and my family members love to talk about politics and they avidly watch all political talk shows, but today was so special. She was live in the street in the middle of the protest.

She told me that meeting of the judges convened in a space under a tent next to the Cairo Club of the Judges headquarters in Cairo. The judges went out to meet the press and salute the people as heroes. Everyone was so happy to see them. The judges previously threatened the government that if there will be no guarantees for independent judiciary, they will take the case to international courts, a move that will be considered unprecedented since the July 23 coup d’etats came to power.

On the other side and at the Press syndicate another key meeting was held led by the dean of the syndicate to discuss the journalists’ reaction to the slackness of the government to pass the bill that provides protection to the journalists from jail for saying or revealing the truth. Many journalists in Egypt were sentenced to jail for speaking against government officials. All journalists agreed today that if the government (parliament) did not pass the new bill that annuls the current law that gives the right to the government to send journalists jail at anytime for speaking the truth, they will stop issuing the newspapers and magazines.

Today was indeed a great day in Egypt’s political history in the struggle for true freedom and democracy. Independent Judiciary will mean a lot to the Egyptian people. The least we can ask for, free fair elections and a democratic Egypt.

Mom what you did today is super sweet and I am a proud daughter.

6 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Good for her! :)

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Freedom For Egyptians said...

It is good for Egypt.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Ibn ad Dunya said...

Egypt is changing, there will be a lot of ups and downs along the road,but change will prevail! Indeed yesterday was a good day for Egypt! Nice with the personal touch of the story. It´s the silent majority that holds the future of Egypt in their hands. 3000 is a good figure!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Freedom For Egyptians said...

I believe we have no option but positive changes and they are happening. We need the support of the entire world to help us be true partners in the free world.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AS AN EGYPTIAN GIRL IS PROUD OF U AND UR MOM
GOD BLESS U BOTH

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Great story. Good on you and your Mum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home