Egypt's Red Sea Resort Blasts, 22 Dead, 150 Hurt
Three explosions Monday night (Cairo Time) rocked the Egyptian resort city of Dahab at the height of the tourist season, killing at least 22 people, mostly Egyptians, and wounding more than 150 at just one hotel, according to the doctor who runs Egypt's Sinai Peninsula rescue squad.
Dr. Said Essa said he was headed to the scene of the blasts and that his casualty figures were for victims at the el-Khaleeg Hotel only. He said there were casualties from the other explosions but he had no details.
Al-Jazeera television said one of the blasts hit a restaurant, and authorities said more than 20 ambulances and police cars were rushing to the el-Masbat section of the city.
U.S. President George Bush sent his condolences and asserted his support to the Egyptian people but apparently not to the government of Egypt. He said "The United States sends our condolences to the families of those who were killed ...We keep those were injured in our thoughts and prayers and I assure the enemy this — we will stay on the offense, we will not waver, we will not tire, we will bring you to justice for the sake of peace and humanity."
The situation is still unclear. I will be writing shortly to comment on the sad news that comes in a season for holidays; Easter April 23, Sham Al Naseem (Spring festival) April 24, and Sinai Liberation Day April 25.
It is expected though that number of the killed will increase. Victimes are said to be mostly from Egyptians.
From the United States, Gateway Pundit has a round on Dahab's attacks.
Previously: Sharm El Sheikh under Terrorist Attack